Primary action: This amino acid acts as an inter-organ nitrogen and carbon transporter essential for the maintenance of intestinal function, immune response, and amino acid homeostasis under severe stress. It is also an important metabolic fuel for lymphocytes, macrophages, fibroblasts, and small intestine enterocytes. It is a precursor of other amino acids and promotes carbohydrate storage after exhaustive exercise.
Research has shown that L-Glutamine may be indicated for a number of conditions. These include:
- Mental disorders such as depression, mood changes, irritability, anxiety and insomnia
- Gastrointestinal disorders such as irritable bowel, Crohn’s disease, cystinuria, peptic ulcer and ulcerative colitis
- For HIV patients; wasting and abnormal intestinal permeability
- Chemotherapy induced mucositis
- It has also shown to be effective for sickle cell anemia, bone marrow transplant and for alcohol withdrawal support